6 Things You Have to Know About 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' – Beyond the Box Office ⋆ Epeak . Independent news and blogs
We’re about a year away from what will undoubtedly be the biggest summer movie of 2018. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom just wrapped production this week and is on schedule to meet its current release date of June 22, 2018. Exciting stuff. It’s never to early to prepare for a tentpole flick so let’s take a deeper dive into the Jurassic World sequel and fifth Jurassic Park movie overall:
“The adventures at the Jurassic World resort and theme park continue as the government has trained dinosaurs to carry weapons and use them for battle purposes.”
That summary hasn’t been confirmed by Universal, but it makes sense considering Jurassic World’s chief villain, Hoskins (Vincent D’Onofrio), wanted to weaponize dinosaurs for future military use. His scientific counterpart, Dr. Henry Wu (B.D. Wong), was in on the plan and escaped the first film alive. Wu may be the one to carry on the dream and become the sequel’s main villain. Again, this is still speculation, but educated speculation in my opinion. Don’t be surprised to see dinosaurs with mounted machine guns on their muzzles in Fallen Kingdom.
2. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard will both reprise their original roles in the sequel, but we’ll have to wait and see if they’re a full-fledged couple now or merely hump buddies. Either way, expect some romantic tension between the two.
One new character we have seen is Lucy (below). We don’t know who the young actress is who plays her, yet, but the below image appeared on the JW2 Instagram page in March. Lucy will reportedly be one of the child leads.
3. Colin Trevorrow, who directed Jurassic World, did not take the same duties on Fallen Kingdom. He’ll serve as Co-Writer/Producer and J.A. Bayona will direct. In the past, Trevorrow expressed an interest in “Spanish horror film directors” directing future Jurassic installments so it appears he got his wish. Bayona is the acclaimed director of The Orphanage and The Impossible so expect his take on the Jurassic universe to be “darker and scarier.” He’s confirmed as much.
4. Jurassic fan site JurassicOutpost stirred the rumor mill this week with a post theorizing the below Twitter pic from Trevorrow — featuring Bayona peering into a set of dino-jaws — might be a sneak preview of a new hybrid dinosaur.
It would make sense for Fallen Kingdom to up the hybrid dinosaur ante after the first film introduced Indominus rex, which was created with DNA from many other dinosaurs. Jurassic World floated the possibility of creating a T-rex/Raptor hybrid so maybe that’s what we’ll see.
5. DigitalSpy also had a story this week about a fan who spotted a Dilophosaurus on the set of Fallen Kingdom. The Dilophosaurus, if you’ll remember, is the fan-favorite thunder lizard from Jurassic Park (with the frills) who terrorizes Wayne Knight in the rain. Bringing this little guy back would be smart on a Star Wars level of fan service consciousness.
6. Filming has wrapped! Trevorrow (photo above) and Howard both shared posts this week confirming Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is now in the can and ready for post-production.
Next up: photos and trailers. We can’t guess when we’ll see real footage from JW2, but it could be fairly soon. Studios will typically release a teaser trailer well before the release date. For now, you can feast your eyes on the first official poster below:
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom opens June 22, 2018