The New York Police Department has launched a criminal investigation into Harvey Weinstein stemming from a assault allegation 13 years ago, PEOPLE confirms.
The NYPD is looking into claims that the embattled movie mogul sexually assaulted the victim in 2004, a police spokesperson tells PEOPLE.
Officials would not release further information on the alleged assault or the investigation. However, Lucia Stoller, now Lucia Evans, told theThe New Yorker that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004.
“I tried to get away, but maybe I didn’t try hard enough. I didn’t want to kick him or fight him,” she said. “He’s a big guy. He overpowered me.”
In response to several allegations made against Weinstein, including Evans’, in theNew Yorkerpiece, a spokesperson for Weinstein said, “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
Evans said Weinstein first approached her at a New York club when she was a college student. She said he began calling her repeatedly and had an assistant call her until Evans agreed to meet with Weinstein at his Manhattan Miramax office.
Evans claimed she was led to a secluded office where she was alone with Weinstein, and he soon allegedly began to demean her while telling her about movie scripts.
“At that point, after that, is when he assaulted me,” Evans told New Yorker. “He forced me to perform oral sex on him.”
She added: “I just sort of gave up. That’s the most horrible part of it, and that’s why he’s been able to do this for so long to so many women: people give up, and then they feel like it’s their fault.”
Harvey Weinstein’s Wife Georgina Chapman Is Leaving Him: ‘My Heart Breaks for All the Women Who Have Suffered’
In the years following the alleged assault, Evans said she was largely unable to talk about the incident — “I was disgusted with myself … It was always my fault for not stopping him,” she told the publication.
She said she developed “an eating problem” and concerned friends told her to seek help “because they thought I was going to kill myself.”
News of the investigation comes as the 65-year-old finds himself in the midst of an ongoingsexual harassment and abuse scandalwith actresses includingCara Delevingne, Ashley Judd,Gwyneth Paltrow, and Angelina Jolie speaking out against Weinstein’s alleged behavior.
In a bombshellNew York Timesreport last week, eight women accused him of acting inappropriately. The paper also reported that Weinstein reached private settlements with eight women, including actress Rose McGowan.
Weinstein issued a statement in which he apologized for his alleged actions and said he is “trying to do better.”
The Weinstein Company announced on Sunday that theShakespeare in Loveproducer would beremoved from his position. As Weinstein faced backlash, his high-powered attorney Lisa Bloom hasresigned from her positionas his advisor. Meanwhile, his wife, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman, hasannounced she’s leaving him.
A source confirmed to PEOPLE that Weinstein had flown out of Los Angeles toenter a residential treatment facility. The producer was spotted boarding a private jet on Wednesday from the Van Nuys airport in California and landed in Arizona later that night.