‘I think Amazon should start paying their taxes,’ Joe Biden says

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
AutoModerator
AutoModerator
23.05.2020 07:27

As a reminder, this subreddit [is for civil discussion.](/r/politics/wiki/index#wiki_be_civil) In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don’t attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, **any** advocating or wishing death/physical harm, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban. If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them. For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click [here](https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/wiki/whitelist) to review our details as to whitelist and outlet criteria. *** *I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the… Read more »

Gothamtonian
Gothamtonian
23.05.2020 07:27

I think Congress should stop making it so easy to avoid taxes.

mastodon_juan
mastodon_juan
23.05.2020 07:27

Lol, the fact that this is even newsworthy shows how off-the-reservation our politics have become

sonofabutch
sonofabutch
23.05.2020 07:27

[I liked Warren’s idea of companies paying taxes on their reported profits.](https://medium.com/@teamwarren/im-proposing-a-big-new-idea-the-real-corporate-profits-tax-29dde7c960d) Simple and straightforward.

IrrationalExpression
IrrationalExpression

“WTF I love bozo now.” – Trump probably

NamityName
NamityName
23.05.2020 07:27

Amazon is paying 100% of the taxes they are legally expected to pay. I think it’s time congress address the loopholes that allow companies like Amazon to pay less than their fair share.

prettyinpinkpanther1
prettyinpinkpanther1
23.05.2020 07:27

The state of Delaware is a specialty tax haven.

TheTackyTurd
TheTackyTurd
23.05.2020 07:27

>Biden was asked whether the company should be broken up.
>“The whole notion of this is: Are you playing the game fairly?” Biden said. “What’s the capitalist system all about? The capitalist system is about everyone dealing fairly and dealing straight up with the American people and with their employees.”

I don’t think that’s what the capitalist system is about.

Silverseren
Silverseren
23.05.2020 07:27

For all those that haven’t been paying attention, Biden has had an increase on the corporate tax rate to 28% and the establishment of a minimum tax rate they can’t go below in his policy platform for quite a long time.

kora_nika
kora_nika

What a hot take

slothhands
slothhands
23.05.2020 07:27

Woah there, Biden. Don’t get too radical now.

107reasonswhy
107reasonswhy
23.05.2020 07:27

I’d rather see a plan to ensure that they do pay their taxes.

The_Scyther1
The_Scyther1
23.05.2020 07:27

This is a completely new perspective. No one has ever been so brave before.

Initial-Tangerine
Initial-Tangerine
23.05.2020 07:27

They’re paying the ones they’re legally required to. Change the fucking laws if you want them to pay more. No more of this indefinite carry forward of losses bullshit.

Kyle700
Kyle700
23.05.2020 07:27

okay, but, in this same interview, Biden says he wants the corporate tax rate to go to 28%, as a repeal of the trump tax cuts. But the corporate tax rate in 2016 was 35%, at the end of HIS administration. So, he’s literally still proposing a corporate tax cut compared to Obama! How can anyone possibly believe Joe Biden is somehow going to be tough on big business lol

failuretrump
failuretrump
23.05.2020 07:27

raise taxes on the rich now.

LouDiamond
LouDiamond
23.05.2020 07:27

here’s the thing Joe – they are paying their taxes. it’s THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT that makes it so they have zero taxes to pay….

Cool-Miner
Cool-Miner
23.05.2020 07:27

Notice the language he uses.

> I think Amazon should start paying their taxes.

Not:

> As president, I will ensure Amazon pays their taxes.

Edit: It feels like I’ve argued every possible point, if you are here to respond, just look in the comments for my reply to your argument.

westlib
westlib
23.05.2020 07:27

Biden was the senator of Delaware; a state whose primary industry is tax evasion.

makeithailonthemhoes
makeithailonthemhoes

Fast forward to summer of 2024-

Biden: “I think Amazon should start paying taxes in my next term!”

Ghostofhan
Ghostofhan

Wow Biden so brave

for-what79
for-what79
23.05.2020 07:27

All global corporations should pay taxes on profits made in the USA not just Amazon.

Hootietang
Hootietang

Biden gets voted in.

Biden and every other politician ever: I never said that

JD22A
JD22A
23.05.2020 07:27

Bloomberg who is financially backing Biden was literally [asked to join the race by Jeff Bezos in the first place](https://www.businessinsider.com/recode-report-jeff-bezos-asked-michael-bloomberg-about-presidential-run-2019-11). Biden isn’t going to do a thing to make Amazon pay their taxes.

zwaaa
zwaaa
23.05.2020 07:27

And just like that Trump became pro Amazon.

Antimalarial drug touted by President Trump is linked to increased risk of death in coronavirus patients, study says

A celebration of the Cornetto trilogy