This is a quick-hitter column with all of the key stats needed to make informed PGA DFS picks in your DraftKings and FanDuel daily fantasy golf lineups. In this space, I’ll give you a few recommendations for the third round of The Masters. In typical Showdown GPPs, DraftKings offers upwards of $50,000 to first place for second-and third-round tournaments, and sometimes even up to $100,000 for the final round. They also provide weekend-long contests that offer $25,000 to first place on average. FanDuel has even tried to get into the weekend-long and final-round contests, offering $10,000 and $5,000 to first place in their PGA DFS Showdown contests. Let’s take a look at PGA DFS picks for Round 3 of The Masters.
Round 3 PGA DFS Picks: The Masters
Previous Round Recap
Those hoping for a Justin Rose letdown early in the day got exactly what they wanted, as an early bogey set him back. He was able to battle back and shoot even par for the day, but it opened up the tournament on another level. Marc Leishman was one of the guys that benefited from Rose not gaining any ground and went out to a five-under 67. He was one of the first golfers out on there, as was Bernd Wiesberger and Tony Finau, who shot second-round 66s. Only four scores were better than 68, as Bryson DeChameabu and Justin Thomas also tied Leishman with 67. Although, we did see most of the best scores come from the morning wave.
While nobody was able to get to the seven-under score that Rose did yesterday, the course did play noticeably easier- just a bit softer, and no wind. With that being said, there are only 21 golfers that are under par heading into the weekend.
Jordan Spieth leads this group here as he shot his second straight round under par, with a 68, and sits just two back. Also playing similar to Speith, with a couple of rounds under par now include Will Zalatoris, Brian Harman & Hideki Matsuyama. The other golfer with both rounds under par includes Si Woo Kim, who for some unknown reason decided to slam his putter down in frustration on 15, proceeded to break it, and putted with his three wood the rest of them was in. He managed to two-putt every hole for par coming, nonetheless, certainly a sight to see. Lastly, Xander Scahuffele was able to take advantage of his good balls striking in round two, shooting three under 69, still not quite finding his perfect putting stroke yet, while Jon Rahm shot his second straight even-par round of 72.
Other Notables Not Making the Cut:
- Sergio Garcia (+4)
- Daniel Berger (+5)
- Brooks Koepka (+5)
- Dustin Johnson (+5)
- Rory McIlroy (+6)
- Patrick Cantlay (+8)
- Jason Day (+9)
- Sungjae Im (+13)
Quick Hitter Round 2 Stat Recap
Augusta does not release their strokes-gained information, so there are only some old-school statistics to look at. Let’s take a look:
Greens In Regulation thru 2 Rounds
- Jordan Spieth (30/36)
- Xander Schauffele (29/36)
- Justin Thomas & Justin Rose (28/36)
- Hideki Matsuyama & Tommy Fleetwood (27/36)
- Henrik Stenson (26/28)
- Charl Schwartzel (25/28)
- Abraham Ancer, Collin Morikawa & Mathew Fitzpatrick (24/28)
Birdie or Better Leaders
- Justin Rose (12)
- Bernd Wiesberger, Cameron Champ, Tony Finau, Viktor Hovland, (11)
- Robert Macintyre, Collin Morikawa, Marc Leishman, Webb Simpson (10)
PGA DFS Showdown Picks: Slate Preview
8:00 a.m. EST
Fantasy Golf Contest Preview
- DraftKings is offering $50,000 to first and $250,000 guaranteed for the third-round slate & also $20,000 to first for the weekend-long slate.
The Masters PGA DFS Picks
The worst weather day was supposed to be tomorrow, and that doesn’t look like it’ll change. Heavy winds are expected in the afternoon, with a constant breeze of about 20MPH with gusts of 30MPH from 1PM on. A massive shakeup in the leaderboard could be on the horizon. I’ll try and highlight a few players starting their round before the worst of the wind is supposed to come in. In fact, a pair of Englishmen will be the first pair out tomorrow morning, Ian Poulter and Paul Casey, and they wouldn’t make for the worst stack.
PGA DFS Picks for Round 2 of The Masters
- Webb Simpson ($9,300) – Projected 28.96 Points: Simpson is typically as steady as they come, but he had eight bogeys on the round- one of them being a double. It was truly unheard for Simpson, and I can’t even explain what I saw today. He did, however, have five birdies in each of the first two rounds. If the wind really does kick up, and Simpson can post a 67 to get back to three or four under, he might only be one or two off the lead to start Sunday.
- Patrick Reed ($9,400) – Projected 34.98 Points: After a promising start to the round with a birdie on two, Reed was three under and firmly looked like he was going to be a force in this event. Unfortunately, a huge lull would ensue and he wouldn’t make his next birdie until the 15th hole and ended up finishing the day at one over. The only positive is that Reed will go out earlier than most of the leaders and also has a tailor-made game for the wind.
- Jason Kokrak ($7,500) – Projected 27.66 Points: History almost repeated itself as Kokrak was struggling down the stretch, just as he did in November. However, he did crawl to the cut line and will now test his luck the weekend. Kokrak has four birdies in each of the first two rounds, so it’s certainly not the lack of scoring holding him. Could tomorrow be the day the bogeys disappear from the card?
Sneaky PGA DFS Pick for Round 2
- Sebastian Munoz ($6,600) – Projected 24.58 Points: He popped up here in November, before falling on Sunday to tougher conditions. Munoz had it going on Friday before a tough stretch pushed him back to +3. A six-birdie day seems to me like more are coming tomorrow, or at least I hope. At this price, it’s an added benefit that he tees off in the morning.
DraftKings and FanDuel The Masters PGA DFS Fill-Ins
- Jordan Spieth ($10,300)
- Cameron Smith ($8,600)
- Tyrrell Hatton ($8,000)
- Kevin Na ($6,600)
Looking for more DraftKings and FanDuel, The Masters PGA DFS Showdown, picks content? We have loads of fantasy golf articles, data, DraftKings and FanDuel cheat sheets. Ton’s more on the Awesemo PGA home page.