If you didn’t get enough ‘Superleague’ drama with European soccer over the past two weeks, well then you are in luck. We now have reports that a group of Saudi investors are trying to pry away the PGA’s top and most popular golfers for a ‘Premier Golf League’.
“According to a report Tuesday in The Telegraph, the aspiring breakaway tour has made multi-million dollar offers to several of the game’s biggest names and best players, including world No. 1 Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Brooks Koepka, Bryson DeChambeau, Rickie Fowler and Justin Rose.
Offers reaching in the neighborhood of $30-$50 million.
The proposed league would feature 40-48 players playing an 18-event schedule in tournaments around the world with lucrative purses, with a season-ending team championship. The league would have a lot of guaranteed money and include a team concept that would dole out ownership stakes for 10-12 players who would captain four-man teams.
The goal is for the league to start in 2022.
“The money is there,” one agent told Golfweek on condition of anonymity. “I heard $1 billion. This is real.”
Trending from Side Action
The league picked up steam earlier in the year, but was said to have flatlined a few months back. Now, the golf ‘Premier League’ appears to be an idea yet again.
If the money is there, can we really expect players to turn down the opportunity?
According to the report by Golfweek and The Telegraph, PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan is flying out to Florida to speak at a players meeting.
I’m sure one of the topics Monahan will have to figure out is how this would affect the players’ eligibility in the PGA Tour. If players participate in the ‘Premier Golf League’, what would that mean for their eligibility in PGA Tour events?
This could be a fascinating development for the world of golf, and we’ll all just have to see how this whole situation plays out.
Subscribe on YouTube!