BREAKING: Chauvin Files for New Trial, Says Jury Was Tainted by Media Coverage
Eric Nelson, the attorney for Derek Chauvin, has filed for a new trial, claiming that the jury that judged he was guilty of murdering George Floyd had been tainted by media coverage.
Nelson filed the request for a new trial on Tuesday, with Chauvin’s lawyer basing the motion on the grounds of misconduct by the jury, along with arguments suggesting that the because jury had not been sequestered, it received what was likely biased coverage from the media as a result, among other allegations.
The motion was filed as questions are beginning to circulate regarding one of the jurors, Brandon Mitchell, who was photographed attending the March on Washington in August last year, wearing a t-shirt that featured a photo of MLK Jr, accompanied by the slogan “Get Your Knee Off Our Necks,” and “BLM.” When interviewed for the jury, Mitchell had said that he had never attended protests on police brutality in Minnesota or anywhere else. It also comes after another juror admitted to the media that she did not want to experience the riots that were largely expected to commence if Chauvin was acquitted.
You can read the motion below: